Pages

Saturday, June 16, 2012

Apparently Photoshop Can Make People Fatter Too


I read an article today about how magazine editors use photoshop to correct extreme thinness. I don't understand the media. You can be too fat, too skinny, too pale, too tan...It's literally impossible to be "just right." As a social action representative for Miss Representation, I often share blog posts on my twitter about how the media affects body image. Look at these shocking statistics I found from fellow social action rep Melissa Fabello:

65% of women and girls have disordered eating behaviors.
31% of girls admit to starving themselves to lose weight.
90% of those who have eating disorders are between the ages of 12 and 25.
53% of thirteen-year-old American girls are unhappy with their bodies. This grows to 78% by the time girls reach seventeen.

It's no secret that negative body image is a problem in our country. But what can we do to fix it? I think that every girl should watch "Miss Representation." It's a powerful documentary about how much the media negatively affects young girls. If girls can recognize the problem, I believe that they can fight it.

But what can we do right now? Start a petition and send it to your favorite fashion magazine asking them to stop photoshopping their models and cover girls. Don't go on a fad diet. Start a discussion with your friends about how you can promote positive body image. And most importantly, be aware of the pervasive, negative media.

If you can recognize the problem, you can stop it.





These kitties are beautiful and not photoshopped!


~Corinne

2 comments:

  1. I'm really skinny, and I'm all to familiar with how unrealistic the models are. There's an ideal and it isn't as simple as thin = beauty.

    Magazines airbrush away bones that are visible and add cup sizes and hips to make the models more curvy. Thin also doesn't mean all your body curves lay flat. Skinny people have flabby arms and tubby tummies that need digital editing because they are "unsightly." They also add leg length, because they want slender, not small.

    I have AAcups, shoulders wider than my hips, and you can see my rib cage a mile away. I don't feel better by the touched up perfection I see from magazines,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! I'm small but I've got a tubby tummy. No one's perfect! And what is perfect, anyway? I wish that everyone would realize that.

      Delete