Pages

Saturday, November 9, 2013

"The Rocky Horror Picture Show" from a Feminist Perspective


As I said in my "RENT" post two weeks ago, I am very involved in theatre at GW, serving as Executive Producer of Forbidden Planet Productions. This weekend we produced our annual production of "The Rocky Horror Picture Show." Rocky Horror is an important tradition for FPP, as it is where we get our name. The year marked the 19th year of FPP and of FPP's Rocky Horror.

FPP's Rocky Horror is especially meaningful for me because it has been a huge part of my college experience. I have been involved in the production since my freshman year, first playing the role of Columbia (the eyebrow-less groupie) and then directing the show last year.

Rocky Horror means a lot of things to a lot of different people. 2013 marks the 38th year since the movie first premiered, and it is the epitome of a cult classic. Rocky Horror teaches people to be comfortable in their own skin. It's a safe place to cross-dress, wear fishnets and heels, and scream profanities in front of complete strangers. And most importantly, it's A BLAST!!

The following quote from Richard O'Brien (the creator of Rocky Horror who plays Riff Raff in the movie) is one of my favorite quotes (it's literally in my Facebook "favorite quotes" section) and really describes the unique experience that is "The Rocky Horror Picture Show":

"I think perhaps because I didn't know what I was doing explains some of the success. I've seen and met so many people who want to write and whatnot to do this kind of manipulative work. Ahead of time, (they'll say) ‘Oh they're going to love this.’ Who are they? ‘No, do you like it? Does it work for you?’ It's not about them. I think whatever came out of Rocky was because of its expression of freedom, its adolescent kind of drive gave its edge really and the longevity in the end of the day…I'm just so grateful that I've been part of something that has so uniquely left its mark."

I cannot be more proud of this year's cast of Rocky Horror. They all worked so hard and since day one of the rehearsal process, they have reminded me of why I love this show and why I love FPP.


Probably one of the best cat videos ever made. Check the original number from the movie here.




~ Corinne

1 comment:

  1. It's so awesome that you're part of this! Congrats on a great show!

    ReplyDelete