Pages

Sunday, December 22, 2013

Who run the world? Beyoncé.


So Beyoncé has ruined Christmas for me.

Why? Because I can't listen to Christmas music since I only want to listen to her new album.

Queen Bey's surprise album is, well - to say the least - flawless. Not only is it filled with some great party jams, but it's also deeply thought-provoking. It's Beyoncé's most intimate album yet. From describing in detail what her and Jay Z like to do in the back of cabs to admitting that even divas feel jealous sometimes, Beyoncé shows us that she is much more than what she appears to be on the surface.

The album is sex-positive, promotes self-love, and is - above all - feminist.


As Queen Bey says, "My message behind this album was finding the beauty in imperfection." She sure got that message across.

In her post "That Time Beyonce's Album Invalidated Every Criticism of Feminism EVER," blogger Christina Coleman provides many examples of how the album smashes all the stereotypes that people often associate with feminism and shows how important it is for women of all ages to identify as feminist. Coleman writes:

It [is] Beyonce’s emancipation from social chains, from criticism, from the lines media drew that illustrate her as something manufactured or “polished” in comparison to the alternative, her sister Solange. These are boxes, they are inaccurate and Beyonce crushed them, quite literally, in this new album.

Without a doubt, my favorite part of the album is the sound clip from Nigerian author Chimamanda Ngozi Adichi's powerful TED Talk, "We should all be feminists." I had never seen the talk but I was so intrigued while watching this part of the "***Flawless" music video that I had to pause the video to look it up. I've never heard a better speech in favor of feminism:

We teach girls to shrink themselves, to make themselves smaller. We say to girls, you can have ambition, but not too much. You should aim to be successful, but not too successful. Otherwise, you would threaten the man. Because I am female, I am expected to aspire to marriage. I am expected to make my life choices always keeping in mind that marriage is the most important. Now marriage can be a source of joy and love and mutual support but why do we teach girls to aspire to marriage and we don’t teach boys the same? We raise girls to see each other as competitors not for jobs or accomplishments, which I think can be a good thing, but for the attention of men. We teach girls that they cannot be sexual beings in the way that boys are...Feminist: a person who believes in the social, political, economic equality of the sexes.

Now I could go on for hours deconstructing every solitary detail of this album, but I'd rather hear what you all have to say about it. Am I biased as a Beyoncé superfan or does it truly merit all this acclaim?

I'll let you all ponder on that while watching this flawless GIF 10,000 times.


AND THIS ONE OMG


#BowDownBitches


~ Corinne

No comments:

Post a Comment